Moissanite is a gemstone that is often referred to as a “moissanite diamond” because of its similar appearance to diamonds. However, moissanite is a different gemstone altogether. It is made of silicon carbide, which is a very hard and durable material. Moissanite is actually harder than some diamonds, and it has a higher refractive index, which means that it sparkles more than diamonds.
Why is Moissanite More Affordable Than Diamonds?
There are a few reasons why moissanite is more affordable than diamonds.
- Availability: Moissanite is more abundant than diamonds. Diamonds are formed deep within the Earth, and they are very rare. Moissanite, on the other hand, can be created in a laboratory. This makes moissanite much more abundant and affordable.
- Processing: The processing of moissanite is also less expensive than the processing of diamonds. Diamonds must be mined, cut, and polished. Moissanite, on the other hand, can be created in a laboratory and then cut and polished. This makes moissanite much more affordable to produce.
- Marketing: Diamonds have been marketed as a status symbol for centuries. This has driven up the price of diamonds. Moissanite, on the
other hand, is a relatively new gemstone. It has not been marketed as heavily as diamonds, so the price is still relatively low.
Moissanite is a beautiful and affordable gemstone. It is a great alternative to diamonds, and it is much less expensive. Moissanite is also very durable, and it has a high refractive index, which gives it a bright and brilliant sparkle.
If you are looking for a beautiful and affordable gemstone, moissanite is a great option. It is a great choice for engagement rings, wedding bands, and other jewelry.
- Moissanite is a 9.25 on the Mohs scale of hardness, which is slightly harder than some diamonds. This means that moissanite is very resistant to scratching, chipping, and fading.
- Moissanite has a higher refractive index than diamonds, which means that it reflects more light. This gives moissanite a brighter and more brilliant sparkle than diamonds.
- Moissanite is available in a variety of colors, including colorless, near colorless, and champagne.
- Moissanite is a great choice for engagement rings, wedding bands, and other jewelry. It is a beautiful and affordable gemstone that is sure to last for many years to come.